Key to Umbria

The wood carver Domenico del Tasso is probably the "Domenico di Francesco legnaiulo"  who was documented in 1461 in connection with work in the Badia di Fiesole.  However, the first certain documentary reference to him dates to 1488, when he received payment for intarsia panels (now lost) that he sent from Florence for the refectory of San Pietro, Perugia.  He seems to have arrived in Perugia in ca. 1490 and to have remained there for about a decade.  His last know work was the carving of the choir (ca. 1508) of the Servite church of Pistoia, which he executed with his sons, Francesco and Marco.


Choir stalls (1489-91)

The choir stalls that Bishop Dionisio Vannucci commissioned for the Duomo carry the inscription: 

Opus luliani Maiani et Dominici Taxi Florentini MCCCCLXXXXI

Scholars believe that they were designed by Giuliano da Maiano and completed by  Domenico del Tasso after Giuliano’s death in 1490.  They were moved from the nave to their present location in the choir in 1524.   The right hand stalls were destroyed in a fire in 1985, and have been replaced by copies.

Wooden Panelling (1490-93)

The wooden panelling  in the Sala dell’ Udienza (Audience Chamber) of the Collegio del Cambio is by Domenico del Tasso and his sons, Francesco and Marco.

Lost Works in Perugia

Documented works by Domenico del Tasso in Perugia that no longer survive include:

  1. intarsia panels (1488) that he sent from Florence for the refectory of San Pietro (mentioned above);

  2. a cupboard (1490-1) commissioned for silverware in Palazzo dei Priori; and

  3. a choir screen (1495) for the Duomo.

Return to Art in: Perugia.

Return to “Foreign” Sculptors in Umbria.


Domenico del Tasso (1440-1508)  

Umbria: Home   Cities   History   “Foreign” Painters in Umbria   Hagiography   Contact

Domenico del Tasso in: Perugia