Key to Umbria

Orazio Riminaldi was born in Pisa and worked in Rome from ca. 1620 until 1627, when he returned to Pisa.  In 1628, Bishop Marcello Crecenzi offered to commission Orazio Riminaldi to decorate the sacristy of the Lower Church of San Francesco, which had been remodelled in 1626-8.  However, the friars decided to finance it themselves, using local artists.

What would have been an important career was cut short in 1630, when Orazio Riminaldi died of plague.

Gonfalon (1626-7)


This double-sided processional banner belonged to the Confraternita di SS Giacomo e Antonio and came from their church of Santa Caterina and is now in the Museo Diocesano:

  1. One side depicts the martyrdom of St Catherine of Alexandria.

  2. The other side depicts SS James and Antony Abbot.

Orazio Riminaldi was said to have painted a standard depicting SS James and Philip (sic) in an account of his work written in 1787.  This standard was believed to have been lost until 1978, when Filippo Todini (referenced below) suggested that this was the work in question.  The attribution is sustained on stylistic grounds and also by the documented association of the artist and Bishop Marcello Crecenzi (above).

Payments are recorded for this banner in 1626-7 to the otherwise unknown Giovanni Battista Muzico.  He was presumably the agent of Orazio Riminaldi, which suggests that the banner was painted in Rome. 

Read more:

F. Todini, “Un Gonfalone di Orazio Riminaldi” , Paragone, 29 (1978) pp 58-63

Return to Art in:  Assisi.

Return to “Foreign” Painters in Umbria.


Orazio Riminaldi (1593-1630)  

Umbria: Home   Cities   History   “Foreign” Painters in Umbria   Hagiography   Contact

Orazio Riminaldi in:   Assisi